St John’s College, Brighton Road was also formerly known as Coolhurst and functioned as a school until around 1986. It is an especially interesting building as it has the 127th Psalm in gothic lettering around the line below the roof.
English Heritage describe it as: The oldest portion of the building is the back part of the former service wing. This is C17, Stone and red brick. The main building is a Tudor Gothic mansion built by Maria, Marchioness of Northampton in 1833-5. Architect P F Robinson. Two storeys. Five windows. Faced with Roman cement. Horsham slab roof. Two bays of 6-lights on both floors with gables over surmounted by finials. Parapet between containing Gothic lettering. Casement windows of 2 or 3-lights with dripstones over. Square bay of five-lights on ground floor with pierced parapet. Ground floor addition of library with slate roof at west end. Service wing set back at east end with a gable in cottage Gothic style with cusped bargeboards. On the entrance front there is a 3-storeyed tower over the doorway with an empty niche on first floor and gable with small oriel to east of this. Good example of a Tudor Gothic mansion.
There is a lively debate on the merits of the school on Flickr. This began when the Horsham Photographer posted a photo in September 2007.