This engraving reading “Weights & Measures” can be seen at 20 Barttelot Road, just past Pets at Home, beyond the old Police Station. In 2006 the building was the home to Antron Engineers Supplies who have since moved on. The sign still has the old 0403 dialling code even though 01403 was well established by then.
The building is not very attractive, sporting a flat roof. The entrance way and engraving seem to be out of proportion in grandeur. To the right of this building the gates to the old Police Station still display the crest of Sussex Police. In earlier times this building is likely to have had a similar roofline to the Police Station.
The close proximity to the Police Station adds credence to the assumption that this building is where the town traders’ weights and measures were checked against locally held standards. In the 1867 Kelly’s Directory a Mr William Blake is recorded as being the Inspector of Weights & Measures based at the Queen’s Street Police Station.
The road takes its name from Sir Walter Balfour Barttelot who was the MP for West Sussex between the years of 1885 and 1893.