On the outskirts of Horsham, near the end of a single track road, is a collection of houses and a farm. The first of these is known as St Leonards, taking its name from the nearby forest. Beyond this are some more modern properties and the farm. The footpath at the end leads to Leechpool Woods.
St Leonards, or St Leonard’s Park as it is sometimes known, is a large country house, now divided into four dwellings. On the top of the roof is a dome with a glass roof that sheds light into that room. At the time of writing, February 2009, a four bedroom apartment was up for sale for £680,000.
The building is said to be early 19th century (1892) by English Heritage, see text below. However, the Victoria County History (VCH), see external link, has parts of it dating beyond 1787. VCH also records significant additions, including the third storey, made in 1840. It also notes that the building was used as ‘a rest home for the elderly’ as recently as 1981.
English Heritage listed the property in 22nd September 1959, revising the listing in 1980:
English Heritage Listing: St Leonards (formerly listed as St Leonard’s Park) TQ 23 SW 8/258 22.9. 59. II* 2. Fine square early C19 mansion with an L wing to the north. Stone tiled roof. The east front has a high centre portion of 3 storeys and 3 windows with a cornice over and pediment containing a round window flanked by swags. Behind the pediment is a circular dome with an iron railing round it. Windows in moulded architrave surrounds with glazing bars intact. On each side of the centre portion is a section of 2 storeys and one window each with wide eaves cornice and hipped roof. Very wide square portico forming a porte cochere the whole width of the centre portion of the house with a coupled square and round column at each corner and balustrade over forming a balcony. The north and south fronts have a similar centre portion to the east front but only the width of one window with a gable over. The north wing has 2 storeys and 5 windows.