The Nelson public house was appropriately located on the junction of Nelson Road and Trafalgar Road near to Horsham Park. Other ‘Nelson’ related roads nearby include Hardy Road and Victory Road. The roads were not built, as one would expect, soon after 1805 to commemorate the Battle of Trafalgar; instead they were some 100 years later being built in the early 1900’s. Perhaps they were named to recognise the centenary.
The pub was spread across two buildings, the main public house and an attached Nelson Hall. The text ‘Nelson Hall’ can only be seen fully when away from entrance which obscures the text when close up. The pub sign was still displaying the King & Barnes logo. The venue was once used by the Horsham Folk Club who described it as being ‘acoustically wonderful’.
The Nelson was popular with some local residents but others object to the noise and associated parking issues. The site was redeveloped by Ruskin Homes initially seeking planning permission for 14 apartments, 12 with two bedrooms and two with one bedroom. To alleviate local parking there are 14 on site parking spaces, one for disabled drivers. There is also a cycle rack for 14 bikes. This was later reduced to 8 dwellings; 7 x 3 bedroom and 1 x 2 bedroom houses.
The main entrance to the 14 home dwelling was to be from Trafalgar Road. The apartments were to be on three levels with the apex of the roof slightly lower than that of the public house. However, it was to take up a larger footprint. This can be seen from the image taken from the Horsham Council Website.
March 2009 Update: The planning application above failed and a new plan has been submitted for two blocks of four terraced houses. Neighbours are still objecting because only 8 parking places are being provided
December 2010 update: building work is now underway on the eight dwellings following planning consent in November 2010.
Horsham has another link with Lord Nelson: One of his officers and later a successor in the Admiralty, Admiral Sir James Hawkins Whitshed, lived in nearby Holbrook Park.