Dixey CB Opticians are Horsham’s longest serving opticians (at least in name) having set up shop in West Street in 1928. The jewellers Jury Cramp who opened in 1872 also sold glasses but closed for business in 1986.
Dixey CB features a curved glass shop front, which offers a browsing area even outside trading hours. This shop front was inspired by PRADA in Milan and installed in 2004, just after Irene and Dirk`s take over. This explains the slight variation in the company name; from Dixeys to Dixey CB, which are the initials for both of their surnames.
This shop was occupied by a photographer in c1867. W Parsley used the premises at that time although very little evidence remains except for the two photos below. The left hand image is of a trade plate whilst the right hand image is a carte-de-visite photograph of an un-named young woman. Any additional information would be gratefully received. Images kindly supplied by Sussex PhotoHistory