The Horsham Religious Society of Friends is located in Worthing Road, opposite the Library and Sainsbury’s car park.
The Quakers first preached in Horsham in 1655; three Quakers are recorded as being in the Market Square. The first meeting house was built on this site in 1693 but was replaced in 1785-6 by a new one set further back from the Worthing Road although the current building is thought to be more recent. It has a ministers house attached to the right hand side.
During the early years Quakers were the subject of persecution and many fell foul of the law.
Horsham’s dinosaur hunter George Bax Holmes was also a prominent Quaker.
A selection of photographs of most of the places of worship in Horsham is on this post.