The cattle trough donated by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association is located in North Street, almost opposite the Capitol Theatre
The association was set up in 1859 by Samuel Gurney M.P. He was thought to be inspired by public comment on the state of the Thames and the lack of drinking water available. Originally known as the Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain Association it only began to cater for animals in the years that followed. In 1867 ‘cattle troughs’ had been added to the name and it had 140 fountains and 153 cattle troughs. These were mainly in the London area although projects as far north as Dundee are still in evidence.
The association also carries out work overseas and to this date has created 40 wells.
The trough in Horsham was set up in honour of Captain R B Drummond MVO, the inscription on the rear side confirms this. Drummond was the Chief Constable of West Sussex Police and served the county between September 1879 and July 1912. West Sussex Police Force, head-quartered at that time in the station, was created during Drummonds time in office; 11th April 1889. Prior to that the policing was controlled by the boroughs of Arundel and Chichester.
The trough has an additional inscription on the front right hand leg which is only legible when the sun is low in the sky in late evening. It reads 10 Victoria Str, London SW1?, wear and tear removing the full text. The fourth thumbnail shows an advertisement for the association which gives the address of 111 Victoria Street.
The Jubilee Fountain, now in Copnall Way, bears a striking resemblance to those shown on the association’s website and almost certainly came from the same supplier.