Jury Cramp was a well known figure at the turn of the 20th century. He was a diminutive trader with strong views on the consumption of alcohol and a leader in the temperance movement. His descendants still live Horsham to this day.
His jewellers was located at No 4 West Street, Horsham on the site now occupied by another jeweller, H Samuel between the Edinburgh Woollen Mill and what was Starbucks for a while.
Having learned his trade in Clerkenwell, Jury Cramp set up his first shop in Market Square in 1872. From here he relocated to Middle Street before moving to West Street in 1878. Signage on the shop front advertised that the jewellers were also watchmakers, silversmiths and opticians.
Clerkenwell is remembered in the name of the building still visible behind the mount for H Samuel’s clock. The shop finally closed in 1986 after which his trade mark shop front giant spectacles were removed to Horsham Museum, together with the shop signs shown below. The shopfront was also renewed at this time. Horsham’s longest serving opticians are now Dixey CB Opticians just a few hundred yards away.
Behind the clock mount is another engraved stone bearing the letters ‘J.C.’, presumably a reference to Jury Cramp. It is followed by a date, believed to be 1878, and the letters ‘A.D.’.
John Wakefield, founder of the Wakefield groups of shops in Horsham, was a one-time employee of Jury Cramp.
Around the beginning of the 20th Jury Cramp also owned the Temperance hotel just around the corner at 10 Market Square, now the Aga shop.
The clock was the subject of concern in the town in February 2008 when a planning application was made to remove the clock in order to update the shop frontage. Samuels subsequently denied that they planned to remove the clock and in remains in place.