This is Provender Mill at the end of Mill Bay Lane, most recently acting as offices. It has also been known as the the Town Mill and concerns over its condition were raised in 1975 when it was a residential dwelling. Work began on the office conversion in 1990, rescuing it from certain dereliction.
This mill shares some of its history with the nearby Prewetts Mill.
At one time it would have been powered by the watermill running across the front of the building. The millwright is identified on the pillars supporting the main entrance; W Cooper, Henfield 1867. Perhaps in the future, with environmental concerns and escalating fuel costs, this source of renewable energy will be tapped into again. A mill pond used to supply the mill and was a common swimming venue for the boys from Collyers when it was in Denne Road, on the site of St Mary’s Primary School.
The restoration date of the sundial is shown as MCMXC (1990).
In February 2007 part of the building became available to let; 2000 square feet together with 10 parking spaces were advertised by Ken Boyle Associates in the Business Matters supplement to the West Sussex County Times.
By February 2008 Provender Mill was empty as an office block and placed on the market as a development opportunity for £1,000,000. The suggested conversion was to 3 x three bedroom apartments and 1 two bedroom apartment, the latter occupying the lowest floor. The selling agent was Humberts. The vendor also had plans to build a further property in part of the adjacent car parking area.
In September 2010 the building is occupied again, not clearly residential or business. The extra property, mentioned above, has not been built.